I’ve structured this page for those who like to piece together their own curriculum but I know there are a lot of people (seems like most I encounter) who just appreciate to find a trusted curriculum that will package it all together for them in a box for a discounted price. If that is you, this is my best recommendation: Memoria Press Sixth Grade Classical Core Complete Set.
For those eclectic folks who like a bit from this and a bit from that, look down below to get ideas from my best suggestions from varying different curriculums. All curriculums mentioned below I have used and loved.
(in addition to the core package above – most students would have already gotten these books in 3rd, 4th grade, or 5th grade – they will all be used in 6th as well)
If this is your first year using the Memoria Press Classical Core Curriculum, you will need to purchase this set in addition to the Sixth Grade Curriculum. It includes resources that were included in previous year packages.
- Timeline Student Flashcards
- Timeline Wall Cards
- Timeline Handbook
- Timeline Composition & Sketchbook
- Poetry for the Grammar Stage Student
- Poetry for the Grammar Stage Teacher
- Poetry for the Grammar Stage Anthology
- English Grammar Recitation
- English Grammar Recitation Flashcards
- Golden Children’s Bible
- Geography Flashcards
- Memory Verse Flashcards
- Sixth Grade Curriculum Manual – this is the most amazing done for you book of them all! Every lesson plan and what you should do daily already perfectly planned. Masterfully done and takes the guess work out of it (the manual includes every book mentioned below).
Concerning Latin: Students should complete First Form Latin before moving to Second Form. If you need to customize the above 6th grade core curriculum package you can do so here.
- Second Form Latin Text
- Second Form Latin Teacher Manual
- Second Form Latin Student Workbook
- Second Form Latin Quizzes & Tests
- Second Form Latin Workbook & Test Key
- Second Form Latin Pronunciation CD
- Second Form Latin DVDs
- Second Form Latin Flashcards
- English Grammar Recitation III Student
- English Grammar Recitation III Teacher
- Core Skills Language Arts 6
Reading: Novels and Literature Guides
- Adam of the Road
- Adam of the Road Student Guide
- Adam of the Road Teacher Guide
- The Door in the Wall
- The Door in the Wall Student Guide
- The Door in the Wall Teacher Guide
- Robin Hood
- Robin Hood Student Guide
- Robin Hood Teacher Guide
- King Arthur
- King Arthur Student Guide
- King Arthur Teacher Guide
- Famous Men of the Middle Ages
- Famous Men of the Middle Ages Student Guide, Second Edition
- Famous Men of the Middle Ages Teacher Guide, Second Edition
- Famous Men of the Middle Ages Flashcards
- Rod & Staff Grade 6 Math Student Book
- Rod & Staff Grade 6 Math Teacher Manual Part 1
- Rod & Staff Grade 6 Math Teacher Manual Part 2
- Rod & Staff Grade 6 Math Quizzes & Speed Tests
- Rod & Staff Grade 6 Math Chapter Tests
Science for 6th graders is a deep dive into Birds for a semester and then the science and history of Medicine for another semester. (Note: Tiner’s “Exploring the History of Medicine” is the standard option for the core package but there are lots of other Tiner’s “Exploring the World of….” Science book sets that MP offers – see here)
Semester 1: What’s That Bird?
- What’s That Bird?
- What’s That Bird? Student Guide
- What’s That Bird? Teacher Guide
- Peterson’s First Guide: Birds
- Peterson’s Field Guide Color-in Book: Birds
- Birds Flashcards
Semester 2: Tiner’s Exploring the History of Medicine
- Exploring the History of Medicine
- Exploring the History of Medicine Student Questions
- Exploring the History of Medicine Teacher Key & Tests
Concerning Composition: Students should complete Classical Composition I-II before moving on to Classical Composition III: Chreia & Maxim. Please consult our Classical Composition Sequence Chart if you have any questions. If you need to customize the above 6th grade core curriculum package you can do so here.
- Classical Composition III: Chreia & Maxim Student, Second Edition
- Classical Composition III: Chreia & Maxim Teacher, Second Edition
- Classical Composition III: Chreia & Maxim DVDs
- Geography I Review Student
- Geography I Review Teacher
- Geography II Text
- Geography II Student Guide
- Geography II Teacher Guide
These books are not included in the core curriculum package above but are used in the curriculum guide each week. You can purchase them for a discounted price through Memoria Press or find many of them at your local library.
Sixth Grade Read-Aloud Set
These years are a wonderful time to introduce to your child for the first time: Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Rudyard Kipling, as well as the storys of Shakespeare’s great plays in Charles and Mary Lamb’s classic Tales from Shakespeare. These are great books with truly classic, high quality content.
- Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens *
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott *
- Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
- The Princess & the Goblin by George MacDonald
- I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth Borton de Treviño
- Across Five Aprils Irene Hunt
- The Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyke
Sixth Grade Supplemental Reading for American Studies
These books were carefully chosen to cover a variety of time periods and characters, and they are on a reading level for independent reading by students. Reading excellent novels is a great way to study American history as a young student. By reading such good books they immerse themselves in the lives and culture of those who have made history in America and it creates a lasting impact on their lives.
In grades 3-6 students will focus on geography in the Classical Core Curriculum because it is beneficial for them to know where the historical events are that they are studying in the context of one another. However, grammar school years are a great time to introduce American history too. These novels will be referenced weekly, at different times, in the Classical Core curriculum.
Sixth Grade Set Includes: